Sunday, August 11, 2013

Interview with author, Stephen O'Sullivan.





I would like to welcome author Stephen O'Sullivan to my blog. 
Stephen is the author of The Tenderfoot and the soon to be released
 Anderson's Gold.


Daniel Kaye - Where were you born, and where do you call home?
Stephen O'Sullivan - I was born in Dublin and still live there.

DK - What is the name of your most recent book or WIP and if you had to sum it up in 30 words or less, what would you say?
SO'S - Anderson’s Gold: Set in the late 1800s, it is a fast-paced adventure story that stretches from Boston’s bustling streets to the vast wildernesses of Western Canada.

DK - If you gave one of your main characters the opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say about you?
SO'S - I suspect Tom Anderson would start by cursing me for tearing his life apart. But I do believe he would thank me by the end of the story.

DK - Do you have plans for a new book, and is this book part of a series?
SO'S - I’m halfway through my next novel, Anna, which is unrelated to Anderson’s Gold, although I do intend to write a follow up story.

DK - Where and when do you prefer to do your writing?
SO'S - Late at night or early in the morning when everyone else in the house is asleep.

DK - Laptop, desktop or pen for writing?
SO'S - Pen for the 1st draft as the words spill out faster than my two finger typing can cope with. 2nd draft onwards is on the laptop.

DK - Who designed the cover of your book?
SO'S - I’m not sure yet. I’ve just recently sent the publishing company a description of how I see the cover. I’m not sure who they are going to use.

DK - Do you have a book trailer?
SO'S - No

DK - What are your thoughts on book trailers?
SO'S - To be honest, I haven’t watched many so I don’t really have any thoughts one way or the other.


DK - Do you have any advice for other writers?
SO'S - If you’re new to writing, don’t waste too much time goggling for tips on how to construct a novel or what’s the best way to go about it. There is no right or wrong way so get the pen and paper out and write, write, and keep writing. You will soon discover what works for you, and accordingly, what doesn’t.

DK - Is your book in Print, eBook or both?
SO'S - Anderson’s gold will be available in both formats.

DK - Have you self-published and if so how would you describe the experience?
SO'S - Yes. I self-published a book called The Tenderfoot. It was a wonderful experience to have full control over everything. I look forward to self-publishing again at some point.

DK - What books have influenced your writing?
SO'S - Almost everything I read has some influence. But Jack London’s books and particularly THE SEA WOLF have had a strong influence in many of my stories.

DK - Is there an author that you would really like to meet?
SO'S - William Dietrich

DK - Do you have an e-reader, and do you prefer it to traditional published novels?
SO'S - I don’t have an e-reader, but I think it’s about time I tried one out.

DK - Where do you prefer to buy your books?
SO'S - Bookstores. I’ve bought online, but for me there’s something missing. I’ve always loved bookshops, particularly the old ones where that unique musty smell hits you the moment you step through the door.

DK - What book would you like to read again?
SO'S - ZUGZWANG by Ronan Bennett.

DK - What book are you currently reading and in what format?
SO'S - SHUT EYE by Adam Barron. It’s actually the audio version as I do a lot of driving.

DK - Your thoughts on receiving book reviews - the good and the bad.
SO'S - No author wants to get a bad review, but those that are willing to take in and seriously evaluate what has been said, are the ones that go from strength to strength. As for good reviews, well… we all like a pat on the back, it’s only human.

DK - If you were deserted on an island, who are three famous people you would want with you, and why?
SO'S - Yelena Dembo, Chess Grandmaster. She beat me 2-0 in an online chess tournament and I reckon I might wear her down if I had a few years. Second would be Richard Anderson [MacGyver]. He’s so damn handy! Third would be the actress, Marisa Tomei. I won’t go into my reasons for choosing her in case my wife reads this.

DK - Do you have a nickname?
SO'S - No


DK - Did you have a favourite toy as a child?
SO'S - Can’t think of any one in particular.

DK - An early childhood memory –
SO'S - Sunday mornings. My father would bring me and my brother to the beach while my mother cooked the Sunday roast.  

DK - Any pets that you would like to tell us about?
SO'S - A three-legged cat called Sooty. He thinks he’s a dog.

DK - What’s your poison?
SO'S - Tea. Twenty cups a day.

DK - Do you have a favourite food?
SO'S - Peppered steak and chips.

DK - Do you like to cook, and if so what?
SO'S - I hate cooking and rarely do so. A shame really, because on the rare occasions that I have cooked, everybody raved about my secret talent. 

DK - If you had to choose - Starter or Pudding?
SO'S - Starter.

DK - What do you eat for breakfast?
SO'S - Cereal.

DK - Name three things you never leave home without (apart from keys, money and phone)?
SO'S - Marker Pen, I tend to scribble a lot on my hand. Scraps of paper in case I decide not to scribble on my hand. And a book, although not always, but often.   

DK - Sleep in, or get up early?
SO'S - Early bird.

DK - Your favourite gadget –
SO'S - Laptop.

DK - Where is one place in the world that you would really love to visit?
SO'S - China.

DK - One of your favourite quotes –
SO'S - Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.

DK - List three books you just recently read and would recommend?
SO'S - WHERE ARE YOU NOW? By Mary Higgins Clarke. The chapters alternated between first and third person point of view. Really interesting from a writer’s perspective. THE KINGS GOLD, Arturo Reverte, for the reader that likes adventure. And AMY’S DIARY, Maureen Lee. A touching tale of life in Liverpool during the Second World War.

Where can your readers find you?


Twitter: @steve2832


I would like to thank Stephen O’Sullivan for allowing us the chance to have a chat, and for giving us a glimpse into their writing world.




7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this interview - well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interview well done, I enjoyed catching up on Steve and getting a glimpse of his life. You and Steve are great writers and I look forward to reading both of your works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dec, I thoroughly enjoyed the interview. Thanks, it was a real pleasure. Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done, Daniel. I enjoyed "meeting" Stephen. Look forward to his books - and yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview, Dec. I miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Lisa, sorry for not replying before this I must have missed the notification about your comment. Hope all is well and of course, you're missed too.

    ReplyDelete